Horse Colic and How to Treat Them - The Best Vet Advises!
Horses like all other animals are prone to different kinds of diseases and some of them may cause permanent damage while others can be fatal. The Equine colic is one such disease which can go either way. Usually, the horse colic symptom is the abdominal pain and things get worse when it remains unidentified and devoid of medical attention.
In the absence of a doctor, the horse owner needs to monitor the temperature and the heart rate. Along with this, he needs to recall the food that was provided to the animal recently and needs to check on the water consumption and color of the gums. Usually walking the animal is required to keep its mind off the pain. However, if it is reluctant to do the same then the horse should be transported somewhere spacious where it cannot harm others as well as itself. No food should be given to the horse when it is in pain.
Recovery time is usually dependent on the horse because some animals recover pretty fast as compared to the others after the administration of Antibiotics. No medication should be provided without professional and expert supervision. Always consult a vet before providing the horse with medications. Its always better to use Natural Treatments while treating the horse suffering from colic. These include cape aloe leaf, fennel, ginger roots, cayenne powder as well as wild yam root. These are normally available at stores selling herbs and they are mixed together with either water or alcohol and fed to the animal.
The Equine colic is usually fatal and the professional fees are quite hefty so going by the age-old saying of prevention is better than cure some important points have to be kept in mind to provide all the necessary precautionary steps that prevent the colic.
- Firstly, the owner should keep tabs on the food that is served to the horses. Pure grains from a trustworthy supplier are idyllic. Some people think that hay is ok but the problem of the hay being infested with bugs or other foreign objects usually cause problems. So proper checking of the hay should be done before it is given to the animal.
- It is very essential for the individual to have a parasite control program. Always make sure that the stable is clean and thorough washing is required several times a week.
- Always keep in mind that the horse needs a lot of exercises to keep fit. A bumpy ride of the horse or just a few minutes of walking with it on a daily basis can assist in fortifying its immune system.
- Adequate rest is also required by the horse. It must also be given sufficient time to either just lay immobile or just move around in the stable. A comfortable environment should be provided to the horse so that it is satisfied.
- The vet must first fully examine all the drugs and multivitamins that is given to the horse. Horses have a very sensitive digestive system so any form of medication can make the horse sick.
Horse Colic and how to Treat Them
Horse Colic and how to Treat Them - In the absence of a doctor, the horse owner needs to monitor the temperature and the heart rate. Along with this, he needs to recall the food that was provided to the animal recently and needs to check on the water consumption and color of the gums